A lapsed driving licence occurs when one fails to renew it within 2 years from the date of expiry. Once a driver licence is marked as lapsed, the process of renewing it following the normal process is no longer applicable thus calling for the procedure in this guide.
In order to avoid the driver’s license issued in Uganda from lapsing, it is recommended that it is renewed within the allocated 2 years gross time from the expiry date. Otherwise, failing to do so will mean additional spending if at all one is still interested in driving in Uganda.
Unlike a normal driver licence renewal process where one pays renewal fees to the bank, attaching a Medical application form, all other required documents and proceeds to UDSL for verification and issuance of a licence, the process of renewing a lapsed licence is totally different through with some procedures remaining unchanged.
Requirements for lapsed driving licence renewal
- Proof of payment of Driving Test fees (UGX 25,000/=)
- Proof of payment of renewal of drivers licence fees (presented to UDLS)
- Photocopy of the expired driver licence if available (presented to Police IOV)
- Newspaper advert for the lapsed permit but lost driver license (presented both at Police IOV and UDLS)
- Police letter (To whom it may concern presented to UDLS)
- Dully filled and signed medical application form for renew of driver licence
- Photocopy of national ID for a lost lost elapsed driver license (presented to Police IOV)
Fees for renewing a lapsed driving licence
Fees for testing expired driving licence
Procedure for renewing a lapsed driving licence
- Visit Police IOV center at Naguru or any other branch offices
- Present all required documents as indicated above
- You will undergo a drivers test and be issued with a competence number and competence certificate
- Attach all documents indicated above in addition to the stamped copy of your license and present them to the UDLS office on Nasser road or other branches.
You will be issued with a drivers licence fully renewed there aby allowing you to go back on the road and drive. But remember, once your licence expires and you fail to renew it in the 2 years gross period, it will be marked as lapsed once again and you will repeat each of the steps above.
14 thoughts on “How to Renew a Lapsed Driving Licence In Uganda”
Until recently, I didn’t know that it is possible to renew a lapsed driver licence. Thank you author for the guide. I tried it and I am now able to drive with no restrictions since all my classes are put back. Bravo
Thank you for the compliment, and for having tried it. Yes, no more dumping of lapsed driving permits in Uganda. Great it worked
My permit lapsed two years ago, what is the exact cost payable to the company in the bank.i don’t want middle men
I have been asked to pay 500,000ugx for my lapsed permit renewal, what are this extra cost from 230,000 to 500,000???
Kindly ask the person who told you that to make a breakdown of the fees. A lapsed isn’t about a renewal only but too involves testing fees, completion certificate, renewal fees, etc.
Bro yo not alone I have faced the same challenge today and deal done and I was left in misery
If you were able to obtain your license, that’s deal done. Just make money and let that go dear
If had class B before then my driver’s license permit a lapsed can’t get another class thanks
You have to renew the lapsed license first, and then add a class when you are done. Remember, class and renew are different entities and attract different fees however much the papers are processed at the same point. This means you can still do each separately
How long can it take one get it back after the whole process is done
It is instant once your competence is recieved by UDLS from IOV, and upon payment of related driver license fees.
I have heard that UDLS is no-longer renewing lapsed permits, is this true and since when?
After gathering all documents required what is the rest of procedures couse am told to wait for some days
Exactly, you should wait as told. You will get a call