Obtaining an additional class extension in a driver’s licence means an addition on the list of vehicles, motorcycles, or machines one is allowed to ride, driver, or operate in Uganda. A class extension for example from A which is for motorcycles to class B which is for motor vehicles means permission to drive vehicles falling in the class category one just added.
In order to obtain a driver licence class extension in Uganda, certain procedures must be followed in order to successfully process the new class one is interested in, similar to when one of applying for a new driver licence. Once all requirements are fulfilled, the next step is to submit the application to UDLS offices for processing and issuance.
Requirements for processing a new class extension for driver licence in Uganda
- Photocopy of a valid Ugandan national ID, together with the original.
- A valid original and photocopy of a passport in case of foreigners
- A valid original and photocopy of refugee card obtained from the OPM for refugees
- Original driver licence
- Proof of extension of driver licence payment (URA Payment PRN)
- Photocopy of current driving licence with IOV stamp and competence number
- Duly filled, stamped and signed medical form for application of an extension of driver licence
- A certificate of Completion from a licenced driving school for that particular class to extend
- Certificate of Competence (Issued by the Police IOV)
Fees for driver licence class extension 2021
Procedures for obtaining a class extension in driver licence in Uganda.
- Visit ura.go.ug to generate an extension of driver licence URA Payment PRN
- Visit any bank of choice and make the payment of UGX 121,000/=. You can also pay using Pebuu, Payway, or Mobile money
- Visit UDLS and download the Medical form for the Extension of the driving license application
- Get a medical practitioner to examine you and stamp on the application form.
- Attach all the other documents you obtained and submit to UDLS offices.
Process your driving permit class extension application
Visit any of the UDLS offices at Uganda Railway Station, Plot 57 Nasser Road, Kampala, in Jinja, Mbale, Gulu, Arua, Fort Portal, and Mbarara, and submit your driving permit class extension application. Your documents will be reviewed and upon approval, you will be issued with a new driver’s license containing both the previous and new classes as extended. For missing or lost driver licence, follow link to process a duplicate.