Obtaining a learner driving licence (LDL) in Uganda is your very first step towards getting a full driver’s license. A learner driving licence grants the owner permission to start driving training sessions on the Ugandan roads with an instructor seated in the co-drivers seat in the L plates numbered vehicle.
The process of applying for and obtaining a learner / provisional driving permit in Uganda is very easy, for as long as the applicant follows the right procedures, and which attracts some fees payable both at the bank, and the licensed driving school in order to obtain the necessary requirements.
Mandatory requirements for applying for a Learner driving licence
- Photocopy of a valid Ugandan national ID, together with the original.
- A valid original and photocopy of a passport in case of foreigners
- A valid original and photocopy of refugee card obtained from the OPM for refugees
- Proof of learner’s driver’s licence payment (URA Payment PRN)
- Duly filled, stamped and signed medical form for application of a learner driving licence
- A recommendation letter from a licenced driving school as enrollment proof.
Once you have all of the above, you will be able to obtain a learner driver’s license in Uganda upon submitting the same at the Uganda drivers license system offices located at any of their office branches including Uganda Railway Station, Plot 57 Nasser Road, Kampala, Jinja, Mbale, Gulu, Arua, Fort Portal, and Mbarara.
Procedures for obtaining a learner driving license in Uganda.
- Visit any of the licensed driving schools and enroll as a driver trainee
- Obtain a recommendation letter for a learner driving license from the same school
- Visit ura.go.ug to generate and print a learner / provisional driving license payment PRN
- Visit any bank of choice and make the payment of UGX 60,000/=. You can also pay using Pebuu, Payway, or Mobile money
- Visit UDLS and download the Medical form for learners driver’s license application
- Get a medical practitioner to examine you and stamp on the application form.
Fees for a learner / provisional driving licence 2021
Process your learner driving license application
Visit any of the UDLS offices and submit your provisional driving licence application. Your documents will be reviewed and upon approval, you will be issued with a learner driving license. Using the issued document, you can go on and complete your driving training session after which you will be able to be issued with a certificate of completion. The application fees for a learner’s drivers license is Uganda shillings 60,000/= minus bank charges.
The certificate of completion issued by the Driving school will be required at the Police IOV when performing a driving test in order to obtain a Certificate of competence, all of which are mandatory when applying for a full driving licence in Uganda.